Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lolly necklace...




I'm rather sentimental about those little fabric offcuts left after whipping something up on the Janome. This is a cute way to use them up. I made the one above for my two year old, but I quite fancy a grown up version for myself, with more mature, less polka dotty fabric, and more 'lollies'.



Start with these bits. Wooden beads, cord, cotton, needle and precious bits of scrappy fabric...



...cut the cord to your preferred length, allowing enough to tie it up. Tie a loose knot in one end then thread on your beads. I like an odd number, spaced at odd intervals, because I am a little odd and too much symmetry makes me queasy...



...cut a piece of fabric in a square, four times the width of the bead...


...thread your needle and knot the end. Wrap the first of your beads in it's little blankie then sew through the fabric and cord at one end of the bead. This will stop the 'lolly' sliding along the cord. Wrap the cotton around the end a few times, as shown, then fasten off. Do the same on the other end so you've got a happy little lolly bonbon...



...do the same on each of your beads, spacing them as you go. Tie the ends of your necklace together and slip it over your head. Have a look in the mirror. Ever so fetching, don't you think?
If you fancy, you can vary things like the fabrics, length of the cord, number and size of the beads and the gaps between them. Now, excuse me while I toddle off and make one for ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment